Darkglass Microtubes X Ultra
You might also want to connect with us on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, or by email.
Out of stock
Microtubes X Ultra
In 2018 Darkglass Electronics launched their Microtubes X series of versatile multiband drive pedals to great acclaim. The new Microtubes X Ultra rounds out the range and greatly expands on the already immense versatility of the X pedals, for those players that want the ultimate studio or live bass fly rig in a pedal format. Featuring all the great controls that the X Series is known for, allowing users to select exactly what frequencies they want to compress and saturate for the low and treble respectively, Microtubes X Ultra has four major additions providing an additional layer of flexibility, while maintaining the same compact footprint, making it an extremely complete tool for the modern bassist.
The low pass-signal (all bass) is left clean and then is processed by the built-in variable compressor. This lets the high frequencies be all crunch, attack and full of rich harmonics, all while mixing back in the undistorted lows to add gargantuan size to the overall mix.
The result is virtually unlimited fullness, size, aggression and definition, regardless of how old the strings are or even if your instrument is just boomy or thin sounding.
• Selectable Clean Channel/ Unique Multiband Bass Distortion
• Pure Analog Signal Path
• Variable LF compressor
• 6-band Graphic EQ
• Balanced XLR output with switchable IR cabinet simulation
• Connect to your PC/Mac to load different Virtual Cabinets (one at a time) via Micro-USB and free ‘Darkglass Suite’ software
• 3.5mm Headphone output and Auxiliary input, perfect for practising etc.
Distorting bass has always been a very challenging engineering endeavour. In order to achieve a punchy and aggressive distortion, that is also full and fat-sounding, you really need to reconcile two contradicting conditions. The tightness comes from attenuating bass frequencies before saturation, which will also result in a very thin signal, however boosting the lows can also result in additional, unwanted fuzz. To solve this paradox, audio engineers have been using multiband distortions in the studio for a few decades now.
With the Microtubes X Ultra, the audio is split by two variable low-pass and high-pass filters at the very start of the signal chain. The high-pass signal (mostly the mid and treble tones) is distorted using CMOS circuitry, just like our other regular Microtubes pedal circuits. The low pass-signal (all bass) is left clean and then is processed by the variable built in compressor. This lets the high frequencies be all crunch, attack and full of rich harmonics, all while mixing back in the undistorted lows to add gargantuan size to the overall mix. The result is virtually unlimited fullness, size, aggression and definition, regardless of how old the strings are or even if your instrument is just boomy or thin sounding.
Microtubes X7 Ultra adds a 6-band graphic equalizer with perfectly tailored mid controls for maximum tonal flexibility. Plus, by equipping the pedal with our award-winning impulse response cabinet simulation module, to the already über versatile multiband distortion engine and graphic equalizer, all helps to make Microtubes X Ultra the complete rig-in-a-box for studio and live performing.
Pressing the Distortion footswitch, selects a Clean channel that bypasses the low pass filter, all while leaving the full range, clean signal, compressor, EQ and cab-sim engaged, so you can now switch from a crystal clean to massive distortion with a simple stomp. In addition, the Auxiliary Input and Headphone Output, with cab sim, makes the pedal perfect for practising. This allows you to connect your PC or mobile device to your pedal to play along with your favourite songs and backing tracks in total silence.
- High-pass frequency
- Controls the cutoff frequency to be distorted, ranging from 100Hz (for thicker, fuzzier saturation) or 1kHz for ultra-sharp definition
- High Drive
- Sets the amount of distortion for the high pass side
- High Level
- Sets the output volume of the distorted high-pass signal
- Low-pass frequency
- Controls the cutoff frequency to be mixed back to the high-pass side Ranging from 50 Hz (for only sub-bass) and 500 Hz to preserve some clean mids
- Low Comp
- This control is also used to control the compression amount when the compressor is enabled for clean signal
- Low Signal
- Sets the output volume of the low-pass signal
- Master Slider
- +-12 dB - sets the overall volume of the unit
- Low-shelf Slider
- +-12dB @ 80Hz
- 500 Hz Slider
- 1.5 kHz Slider
- 3 KHz
- +-12 dB
- High-shelf Slider
- +-12dB @ 5 kHz
- Ground Lift
- Direct Output
- A balanced version of the ¼” output, useful for running into PA’s or studio mixing consoles
- Instrument Output
- Output for your amp
- Connect to Darkglass Suite (PC/Mac) to load impulse responses to the pedal
- Microtubes X Ultra has a digitally controlled headphone amplifier with a 3.5mm stereo jack output. Digital volume control is available in the Darkglass Suite. Headphone volume can be controlled directly on the pedal with the master volume control when the preamp is enabled. When the pedal is on bypass, the master volume does not affect the headphone volume.
- Aux input
- Perfect for quiet practice, you can now connect your PC or mobile device to your pedal to play along with your favourite songs, and backing tracks while using the headphone output.
- Output impedance
- 1k Ohm
- Cab SIM
- Toggle the cabinet simulation on/off on the Direct Output. This switch completely bypasses all digital circuits and allows you to get a zero-latency signal when needed.
- 10.7x12 cm (4.21x4.72 in)
- (9V DC, centre -, 2.1 mm, ~200 mA current draw)