Darkglass Microtubes Infinty
Often, we find ourselves asking identical questions. What distinguishes a pedal, amp, or accessory as essential? If we get to choose only one piece of gear to take on tour: how would we want it to be?
This pedal is a response to our one quest, stapling what it takes to make professional gear by our standards: A vast canvas on which any musician can reveal their utmost potential. Meant for those who care about quality, versatility, and a robust proposition. Without concessions or shortcuts.
The Microtubes Infinity shares the footmark of our programmable line, packed with our three legendary Microtubes distortions: B3K, Vintage, and X. Moreover, it allows multiband compression on every mode, blending Impulse responses between distortions while adding extra controls via the Darkglass suite for an endless number of features: An infinity of possibilities.
SIGNAL CHAIN OPTIONS
The position of the Cabsim block in the signal chain can be changed from the Suite.
ROTARY FOOTSWITCH ENCODERS
Below the touch sliders are three rotary footswitch encoders -∞, 0, and +∞, which can be pressed or rotated. These footswitch encoders enable many of the Microtubes Infinity’s functions. Simply press A, B, or C toswitch to the preset stored in that footswitch.
The rotational position of each encoder is displayed on the five LEDs under each encoder. Additionally, when rotating, the position is shown on the potentiometer LEDs – this is a visual aid that does not affect thepotentiometer configuration.
· Rotating -∞ allows you to change the compressor ratio or bypass the compressor.
· Rotating 0 allows you to change the distortion mode or bypass the distortion.
· Rotating +∞ allows you to change the active IR in the signal chain or bypass the IR.
When none of the five LEDs are lit, the respective compressor/distortion/IR is bypassed.
Rotating 0 allows you to bypass or change the distortion mode. The modes are:
1. Clean tube preamp
2. Vintage Microtubes
3. Microtubes B3K*
4. Vintage Microtubes multi-band* 5. Microtubes B3K multi-band*
* Bluetooth/USB connection and Darkglass Suite application are required to access the extra controls, like GRUNT, MIDBOOST, high-pass and low-pass filter .
EDITING AND SAVING PRESETS
Editing and saving presets on the Microtubes Infinity is remarkably easy. If any of the parameters are changed (i.e. potentiometers, sliders, encoder rotation), the color LED of your current preset will gently breathe, indicating that the edit or audition mode is active.
Auditions are an easy way to try new sounds and settings, which can be either saved or discarded. When you find a sound that you would like to save, the audition can be saved into any of the three presets by pressing and holding one of the preset footswitches for two seconds. All LEDs on the Microtubes Infinity will flash rapidly a few times indicating that your edits have been saved into a preset.
MICROTUBES INFINITY: USER GUIDE
A new audition is always entered when changing any parameter from an unedited/saved preset. This will overwrite any previous unsaved auditions/edits.
During an edit/audition, you can change to any of the three saved presets by pressing the footswitch associated with that preset. After changing to a preset, pressing the footswitch again will swap between that preset and your active editing session.
Presets can also be saved, edited, shared, loaded, and managed in the Darkglass Suite.
For instructional videos on editing and saving the presets, please visit https://www.darkglass. com/creations/ microtubes-infinity/
To enter the tuner, press 0 and +∞ simultaneously.
To exit the tuner, press 0 and +∞ simultaneously or one of thefootswitchpresets.TheMicrotubesInfinitywillalways return to the last active preset. The Microtubes Infinity will not output any audio when tuning.
The Microtubes Infinity features a five-octave chromatic tuner, which can tune any note between A0 and A#5, allowing you to dial in any guitar or bass tuning that you desire. The tuning is derived from A4 = 440 Hz. Only one note can be tuned at a time.
When the tuner mode is entered and there is no input signal, two red LEDs on the two rightmost sliders are shown by default. When an input signal is received, the left section of sliders will update to show the note that you are tuning.
A small indicator is displayed to the top right of the note if it is a sharp note.
When tuning, the two rightmost sliders will update to show how close your tuning is from the note’s perfect pitch. Distance below the center line indicates that the note is tuned flat, and distance above the center line indicates that the note is tuned sharp. The red LEDs will transition to green as you approach the perfect pitch, and the slider and preset LEDs will fully illuminate in green when you are on perfect pitch.
To enter the bypass mode, press -∞ and 0 simultaneously.
To exit the bypass mode, press -∞ and 0 simultaneously or one of the footswitch presets.
In this mode, the Microtubes Infinity does not perform any processing on the input signal, and passes the unprocessed input signal through to the outputs. All LEDs are turned off during bypass mode.
To enter or exit the performance lock, press A and C simultaneously.
In this mode, all LEDs will gently breathe on the Microtubes Infinity to indicate that it has been locked.
This mode prevents any accidental parameter changes or edits to your presets. You can still change between the saved presets A, B, and C, and enter the tuner or bypass modes, but potentiometer updates, slider touches, or encoder rotations will not respond to any changes.
Tip: Enter the performance mode after the soundcheck while playing live gigs.
To begin Bluetooth pairing with the Microtubes Infinity, press and hold an encoder while simultaneously rotating the encoder. The five LEDs under each encoder will illuminate one-by-one, and pairing will begin when all five are lit. Look for “Microtubes Infinity” on your list of available bluetooth devices.
THE MICROTUBES INFINITY AS A USB AUDIO INTERFACE
Whatever your DAW of choice is, it’s compatible with the Microtubes Infinity. You can record your processed signal to one track and simultaneously record an unprocessed copy to another track. Recording a stereo track at the same time from the Aux input is also possible.
The Microtubes Infinity supports 48 kHz and 44.1 kHz sampling rates.
SETTING UP THE DRIVERS
If you are using a Mac, no additional drivers are required to use the Microtubes Infinity as an audio interface. If you are using Windows, please download the latest USB audio drivers from https://www. darkglass.com/ suite/. Please refer to the Darkglass website for more details regarding USB audio.
USB output (to Microtubes Infinity)
· Output 1: Balanced left + Headphone left
· Output 2: Balanced right + Headphone right · Output 3: Balanced left
· Output 4: Balanced right
· Output 5: XLR DI (mono)
Both Mac and PC send system audio to outputs 1 and 2 by default, so you can always use the Microtubes Infinity’s stereo output of choice without having to set up any extra routing.
The level of these outputs is controlled by the small volume potentiometer at the top of the Microtubes Infinity. The other outputs have no volume control on the Microtubes Infinity.
USB input (from the Microtubes Infinity)
· Input 1: Processed signal
· Input 2: Unprocessed raw signal
· Input 3: Aux left + Bluetooth left
· Input 4: Aux right + Bluetooth right
When the Microtubes Infinity is not bypassed, the Level potentiometer always controls the volume of your instrument input at all four outputs, and has no effect on the USB/Aux/Bluetooth audio. When the MicrotubesInfinity is bypassed, the Level potentiometer has no effect.
Your instrument, Aux input, and Bluetooth audio is routed to the headphone and balanced outputs. The media volume at these outputs can be controlled with the small potentiometer at the top of the MicrotubesInfinity.
· When using the balanced outputs, the media volume and instrument volume level are separately controlled (small volume potentiometer at the top of the Microtubes Infinity and the Level potentiometer, respectively).
· When using headphones, the volume is controlled in the same way, with one exception: the headphone volume potentiometer acts as an overall master volume for both media and your instrument input. · The XLR DI output is routed only with your instrument output and USB output 5.
The media playback volume level on the Microtubes Infinity is not applied to USB inputs 3 and 4.
DARKGLASS IR LIBRARY
The Darkglass Suite software currently comes with an extensive library of IR files and hundreds more will be added in the near future. The library consists of both bass and guitar cabinets. Captures of Darkglass Elite Series and Neodymium Series cabinets are available, among others.
- This control allows setting the input gain of the compressor that will translate into how much the signal is compressed while our intelligent make- up gain algorithm keeps the output of the compressor at usable levels. The compressor has 5 ratios available: 4:1, 8:1, 12:1, 20:1 and ALL IN.
- The Microtubes Infinity has 5 different preamp modes; a clean multi-band tube preamp, Microtubes B3K and Vintage Microtubes distortions in both normal and multi-band modes.
- Cab Sim
- The Microtubes Infinity supports Impulse Response (IR) cabinet simulations and has 5 cabinet slots on board. The default IRs have been selected by the Darkglass Team. New IRs can be assigned to the 5 slots using the Darkglass Suite (desktop or mobile).
- The blend control allows you to mix the distorted/ preamp signal with the clean sidechain signal. Depending on the distortion/preamp setting the clean sidechain is either full-band or low-band signal.
- The Level potentiometer controls the master volume of the Alpha·Omega Photon.
- Touch Sensitive Sliders
- Each slider has a -12 dB to 12 dB range. From left to right, the frequency bands for each slider correspond to a low shelf, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1.5 kHz, 3 kHz, and a high shelf.
- Multi Function Switches
- Push/Rotate Compressor mode (5 modes + bypass) Distortion mode (5 modes + bypass) Cabinet simulation (5 Impulse Responses + bypass))
- This is the primary instrument input on the Microtubes Infinity. Connect your instrument or output from your pedal board to the 1/4” mono jack.
- Aux In
- The stereo input of the Microtubes Infinity enables the playback of backing tracks while practicing or recording. Connect your mobile phone, laptop etc. to the 1/8” stereo jack
- Headphone Output
- Headphone Outputmeter next to the jack.
- Balanced Outputs
- The two balanced outputs add routing versatility and the option of using the Microtubes Infinity as a fully equipped audio interface. Connect your studio monitors, amplifier or other effects to the 1/4” balanced jacks using a TRS connector (Tip +, Ring -, Sleeve GND). If you feed an unbalanced input from these outputs, use an instrument cable with a mono 1/4” plug.
- Direct Output
- An XLR output with a ground lift switch provides a reliable standard connection to a mixing desk or an external audio interface for a guaranteed low-noise signal.
- MIDI In
- A standard 1/8” TRS (Type B) jack allows connecting an external MIDI controller to the Microtubes Infinity for even more flexibility.
- The USB-C port unlocks the Microtubes Infinity USB audio interface capabilities and enables interaction with the Darkglass Suite desktop app, allowing for software updates and access to the Darkglass IR library, containing hundreds of cabinet simulations. USB MIDI is also supported.
- 18x12x6 cm Weight 0,7 kg
- (9V DC, centre -, ~500 mA current draw)